Another Pilot Down: The Artwork of George Gonzalez

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Hangin' with the Teenies!


Oh those silly Cobras, they put up on quite the party last night when their "The Really, Really, Ridiculously, Good Looking Tour" (I didn't make that up, that's the name) rolled into Austin. The tour was one for the ladies, as they were cearly the majority in this show. I mean, I expected kids to go (the bands are all on the Fueled By Ramen label which is home to Paramore, Panic at the Disco, Less Than Jake, and of course, Fall Out Boy) but I had no idea that many younger kids were going to be there. I couldn't help but chuckle at 10 year old kids running around the punk venue with sweaters that read, "Kiss My Sass" on the back. For a lot of these kids, this show was their first concert so they all had their parents waiting there. (I stayed in the parents section during the first two bands.)

But still, the show offered a lot, and it was cool to let loose and dance to those crazy kids of the Cobra Starship. They opened with "The City Is At War" which was one of my favorite tracks long before they ever made a music video for it. So that was cool. Something about shouting, "Bang! Bang! Shoot em' up, shoot em' up! Yeah!" while waving you hand in the air shaped like a gun feels so liberating. I did manage to get some crappy quality videos of the band performing some of the other tracks. I love "The Church of Hot Addiction" and went nuts like a 14 year old girl when the band played it. T'was awesome. I got video footage of "My Moves Are White (White Hot, That Is)" that's also one of my favorite tracks off the latest record. Gabe, the lead singer, was so funny. Everytime he shook his ass infront of us all the girls went insane, and the stupid conversations he'd have with the rest of the band were halarious.

The performance of "Bring It! (Snakes on a Plane)" was pretty slick. Half way into the song they extended it so they can get a fan to go up on stage with them to do the rap verse. They pulled up a really energetic 15 year old girl who nailed the verse and she was up there dancing with the band. It was cool. The band's crowd interation was great.

However in spite of all of this, one of the craziest and by far the most randomest thing I have ever seen at a show so far came when the band Metro Station was finishing up their set with the song "Control". Half way into the end of that song the lead singer goes, "Ladies and Gentlemen! Jeffree Star!!", and Holy Fuckin' Shit, my mutha fuckin' hero JEFFREE-FUCKING-STAR came out on stage like the badass mother fucker that he is! I was like, "WTF?!?! x10!" At the time, I had been standing in the back with all the old people watching it from a balcony. So I was just effin' shocked! I quickly reached for my camera and began recording. But it sucks, cause I'm so far back that you can more or less make him out at times on the camera. When the song was over, you do hear the lead singer say, "That was Jeffree Star, ladies and gentelmen!". I was so hoping he'd come out to take pictures and sign autographs but I never saw him. I saw the other bands do signings and take pictures with fans but never JStar.. so, I was bummed, I wanted to give him a hug.

Yeah, Barak Obama was in town that night, but I was more egar to meet Jeffree Star instead. Still, it was a cool night. A sold out show, and 15 bucks for a good time with like minded rockers. Unlike, previous shows don't expect any photos from this one. The teenies obviously owned this night and I couldn't for the life of me get close enough to take some good photos. So instead I took crappy videos. Expect those on my personal YouTube account in the coming days.

Anyway, caio baby!

No comments: